After graduated from high school in 1899, Haring began studying at the Technical University in Stuttgart (1899-1901), Skjold Neckelmann. Then he studied at the Technical University of Dresden, including in Fritz Schumacher, Hugo Hartung and Gurlitta Cornelius (1901-1902). He graduated in Stuttgart under the direction of Theodor Fischer in 1903.
In 1904, Haring moved to Hamburg, where he taught at the School of Arts and Crafts (German Kunstgewerbeschule). In the years 1915-1921 involved in the reconstruction of East Prussia. In the last three years of World War I he worked as a translator in the Balkans.
In 1921 he moved to Berlin, where in 1922 he took part in the Great Berlin Art Exhibition (Grosse Berliner Kunstausstellung German). In the 1923-1924 co-founder along with Mies van der Rohem group Zehnerring "in Berlin. From 1926 Secretary of the architectural group "Der Ring, " which he represented in 1928 at the founding meeting of the Congrès International d'Architecture Moderne (CIAM) (Engl. International Congress of Modern Architecture) in the Swiss La Sarraz.
In 1935 he took over the Berlin Reimannschule, which renamed the school "Kunst und Werk". After the bombing of the school during the war in 1943 the family moved to Biberach an der Riss. In 1946, responsible for reconstruction in the zone of French. In the years 1947-1950 associate of the Institute of Civil Engineering at the Academy of Sciences in Berlin. Since 1955 member of the Akademie der Künste.
In 1925, Haring completed his essay, "Wege zur Form", in which he outlined his thoughts on architecture - architectural form should grow from the environment and the function of the building, which was to be by a separate, individual project . These considerations were in opposition to the idea of universality of Mies van der Rohe, and Haring is often identified with the organic tradition of modernism, in addition to Frank Lloyd Wright and Alvar Aalto.
At the end of 1920. Twentieth century designed multi-family residential homes to the newly-emerging neighborhoods Siemensstadt Berlin and Onkel-Toms-Hütte, but new projects have been abandoned after the Nazis came to power